Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Vacation, Leftovers, and the Poorhouse

We are enjoying our little vacation, the boys and I. My Hillbilly
Husband, not so much. He only had Monday for his holiday. Poor,
poor HH. Too bad he didn't go to college for a teaching degree.
Too bad he makes twice the money I do. Hey! Looks like the
joke's on me. Go figure!

The boys and I drove out to my Hillbilly Mama's house today.
We were in town anyway to go to the bank and pick up medicine
and SONIC Cherry Diet Cokes. My HMa gave me a smoked
turkey and some leftover BBQ. The turkey was still frozen. We
gave her some leftover spaghetti from last night. The kids said
they would not eat it warmed up, the persnickety little brats.
It did kind of stick together. All I had was angel-hair pasta, and
I didn't even cook it a whole 6 minutes. Now we have established
that I am not a very good cook. But the point I am making here
is that one woman's leftovers are another woman's dinner. Gosh.
I wasted a lot of your time for that little joke, huh?

#1 son has been busy since last night with his new laptop. His new
OLD laptop. It runs Windows 3.1. HH's work was getting rid of
some stuff and he put a bid on it. #1 has been hacking around to
find a program to open his pictures. It won't read jpeg or pcx.
He has found bmp will open them with bad color, and is now
going to try msp when he downloads it. That boy makes me tired.
I have no clue what he's talking about with computers. We told the
kid he has to pay out of the money he's been saving for over a year,
but I will pay half of it. Because I'm made of money, you know.
Stop laughing, Mabel. I must keep up appearances.

Speaking of money, I thought it was about time for the credit card
bill to arrive, so I called the 800 number and found out that we have
a balance of $10,000 due. That may not mean anything to some
people, but, um...we pay it off every month. That means that during
the month of December, we charged $10,000! Oh, there were some
dollars and cents with that, but does it really matter when you owe
$10,000? Let me answer for you: NO! I do not think I went so
far overboard on Christmas. I have accounted for HH's little golf
cart/go-kart/tractor toy. Most of the gifts were bought with the
debit card. I know I didn't spend $10,000.

Well, the mystery is solved. I got the statement in the mail, and it
seems that HH has all his California business trip on there, and
some of his Germany trip, and has now charged airline tickets for
the Brazil trip. Not just his, mind you, but a ticket for another guy
at work. WTF? Does he think we're made of credit? Last night
he brought home a reimbursement check for $2000 something
for California. He needs to get on it and write up his expenses
for this other junk. It's about $4000 more. Man! HH is trying to
give me a heart attack! HH always gets the money back, from the
tickets, hotels, gas, parking fees, restaurants. But until he gets
home and turns them in, we are stuck with them.

Here's what annoys me about HH's work. He is expected to put
all the expenses on our personal credit card. Why work can't get
him one I don't know. They are not exactly a small operation. One
time he had to put another guy's ticket on there because the guy
couldn't get a credit card. This time he just did it to be nice. And
how nice was the other guy, you ask? So nice that he scheduled
his shots for Brazil, and didn't make HH an appointment. So HH
had to drive to St. Louis today to get them from the Traveling
Nurses Association or some such thing, but I want to know if
they travel, why couldn't they travel another 30 miles to where
HH works? They must not take credit, because HH wrote a
check for the $181 that the shots cost. HH is going to be a $6-
million-dollar-man if he keeps this up.

Anyhoo, now that I know I'm not in the poorhouse, I can continue
to buy my Sonic Cherry Diet Cokes. Ahh...sweet, sweet nectar.

4 Comments:

Blogger Redneck Diva said...

In doing the family's budget for 2006 the other day I made durn sure that there is a Sonic envelope. Yes, I'm serious. If I don't figure it into the budget the money for the Sonic pops will come out of my gambling money and well, we just can't have that.

$10,000 in one month - that's enough to cause cardiac arrest!! I have a total of $12,000 on two cards, but it's the result of several years' hard work, lol.

9:26 PM  
Blogger Hillbilly Mom said...

Diva,
I agree, you can't be robbing Gambling to pay Sonic. I think that's in the redneck bible.

8:31 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Hi Hillbilly Mom,
I know the feeling of paying out money. Yesterday I spent $15,000, in two goes, and I am still $1200 short of what I need to pay out by next week. Looks like my credit card will get a work out this week. I'm glad this is a good pay week for me.
If for some reason you did have to stop getting your Sonic's, I am sure the chain would close overnight.
HooRoo
Rebecca

9:41 PM  
Blogger Hillbilly Mom said...

Bec,
I think my Sonic WOULD close overnight. I am a loyal customer. Today I have to go to one in a different town, after I deposit some blood in the hospital that wakes you during surgery. I hate the 12-hour- fasting blood tests. DARN GOITER!

9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home