Thursday, December 22, 2005

Not For Children

WooHoo! I got a whole 7 hours of sleep! That's almost double
my usual 4 hours. I rose at 7:00, watched a little news, then started
channel surfing, since my little beasts were still asleep. Yes, #2
stayed up until after midnight. That boy just doesn't know when
to go to bed.

Around the Showtime, Movie Channel, Sundance area, I stumbled
across a movie that should not have been rated "R." I have Dish
Network, so that onscreen thingy pops up with the rating. OK,
so the name of the movie was "Sex is Comedy," which right off
tells you what this is probably about. Not that I skim the channels
looking for pr0n early in the morning or anything. So I happened
upon the last few minutes of this movie, and the first thing I saw
was a guy (most definitely a guy!) standing beside a bed wearing
a green wooly sweater. That was all.

Now here is the thing that amazed me. Well, the second thing.
The first thing was about 10 or 12 inches. I know. It was
spectacular--I mean shocking--to see such a display of frontal
noclothesedness with an "R" rating. Even those Showtime
"NR/AO" don't show such views of a man in such a condition
in their simulated dancing in the sheets. But you do know that
it COULD happen, due to the rating. Not that I look ahead in
my program guide to see when such shows are on, or anything.

Maybe this ratings faux pas was due the film being of foreign
origin. I'm thinking maybe French, but I'm not sure, because I
wasn't really listening to the dialogue, I was trying to keep up
with the subtitles. Yes. I love to read. The plot seemed to be
that these filmakers were having trouble shooting a tender love
scene where the actor and actress hate each other. He didn't
seem to be hatin' too much, though.

This brings up my question (see, I really do have a point) of
whether I should put a channel lock thingy on my Dish service.
What if my kids were flipping through the channels and found
this kind of stuff? It was 8:00 a.m., CST, not late at night. My
boys are 11 and 7. I know they will reach that age where they
will try to search these things out. I used to have an 8th grade
student who could not stay awake in class because he spent
all night looking up pr0n on the internet. #1 son wants his
computer in his room, but I make him leave it in our basement
family room area, where we can walk by at any time. But he
has a TV in his room.

The problem with channel locks is that I don't know how to
do it. So the kid I am locking out would have to be the one
to show me how to set it. That kind of defeats the purpose,
don't you think? I know I can't protect him forever. But I
think he doesn't need to have this possibility of finding these
things until at least 14. There seems to be a little jump in the
kids' maturity level, around the second half of 9th grade. That
would be 14-15 years old. Am I trying to keep him a naive
baby? I don't want to make him a bigger freak than what he
already is, what with his computer lingo and all. But I also
don't want him to be the kid operating a pr0n website, or
distributing pr0n magazines and videos. Yes, I know it's hard
to believe that we've had kids do that at school. (Ha!)

This dilemma has now reminded me of more shocking tales
of pr0n from one of my teacher buddies several years ago.
Sorry. That one will have to wait until tomorrow. And in the
near future, I will update y'all on the search for the Royal
Crown of Hillmomba. Yes, I know. I am ruining Christmas
by giving you all the insatiable urge to check in on my blog
instead of spending time with you families. Guilty! I have
tried to tone down my charisma, but it just doesn't work.

5 Comments:

Blogger Chickadee said...

You mentioned you have Dish network...they have a "how to" channel. It's called Dish Network FYI and for us, it's on channel 101. I'm not sure if it would be the same channel for you.

Now I don't have children yet, so I'm not sure I have any place to be giving my opinion, but I'm going to give it anyway. LOL.

I don't think you're being overprotective. As far as I can see, MOST kids (not all, I know) will believe anything they hear/see on the computer and be taken advantage of and as you know, there are some sick-o's out there. Kids also haven't lived life and experienced the ups and downs and been exposed to the variety of people out there. So I don't think they necessarily have the ability to discern what is a scam and what not. Like I said before, I know that this doesn't apply to all kids. I know there are kids out there who have seen too much and been through too much at an early age. The more reason for you to remain confident in your decision.

In regards to the TV thing,I agree with the lock, especially when there is such crap on so early in the morning.

http://www.danno.org/blogs

4:02 PM  
Blogger Huggies said...

It sounds like one of John Holmes movies you were watching there.

I don't really want to comment on the censorship issue because I think it is upto every parent to decide what their kids can and cannot watch.

4:27 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Hi Hillbilly Mom,
I think you should block the channel, but as Mr Huggies said it is up to each parent.
What I think is important these days is parents don't take responsibility for their children. Yes p0rn is easier to get these days, but is it better to let the kids go open slather, or teach them about the rights and wrongs, make them feel comfortable talking to you about everything sex. If they then have a problem in the future, at least they know they can talk to you about it, with out getting embarassed.

Regarding your crown, just wait until I get home and blog. You may get a few clues about where it is then.

HooRoo
Rebecca

5:17 PM  
Blogger Redneck Diva said...

I say hit the Channel 101 like Chickadee suggested. It's very instructional and you should be able to program the TV without your child's help. We set our passcode with all 9's but I figure our days are soon coming where the children will try to figure it out so we'll have to get more creative. Dang smart kids.

10-12 inches eh? Dannnnnnggggggg.

I just have to say that in my blog-absence these last few weeks, I have thoroughly missed reading you. Probably most of all. I've even taken to overusing Seinfeld quotes here at home trying to make up for not reading your blog. It's not quite the same.

Your whacker post had me giggling until tears rolled down my wind-chapped cheeks. That one was good. I'm forwarding it to DivaMom for sure.

Have a wonderful Christmas, Hillbilly Mom! Be safe, be happy!

11:07 AM  
Blogger Hillbilly Mom said...

Chick,
I'll give 101 a try.

Huggies,
He could have been a relative of the legendary John Holmes, from the looks of the equipment.

Bec,
Right now he is rational and will talk to me. If something inappropriate comes on, he walks away and says, "Uh, you shouldn't be watching that with me here." What he does when I'm not around, I don't know.

I am sending Mabel to collect the Royal Crown of Hillmomba from you. You will recognize her by her cow costume. Don't mess with Mabel, or you'll get the horns.

Diva,
Long time no blog. What's up with that? I've been a-lookin' and a-lookin' for ya.

I'm sure you have enjoyed a whacker experience or two. We speak Seinfeld all the time around our house. We are especially fond of "I'm hideous!" Like when Kramer kept smoking and his skin yellowed and dried out.

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home