Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Throw Me Back Into the Deep End of the Pool

I do not like the shallow end of the jury pool.
I do not like it with a book.
I do not like the time it took.
I do not like leaving my boys with Gram.
I do not like it, Sam-I-Am!

I had a bad feeling when I went to pick up my juror number, and
it was 7. 7! That is not a good thing. The only good thing about it
was that I got to sit at the end of the pew. It was another Eminent
Domain case. How much money should a guy get from the Missouri
Department of Transportation for his two acres and a 1960s style
gas station? You be the judge. Well, you can't, because we already
had a judge. You'll have to be a juror (or JEW-ARE, as one guy
pronounced it). Then I can leave.

More on the case another day. I don't have time for the details
tonight, because I WAS ON THE FREAKIN' JURY until 7:15 p.m.
I spent 11 hours at that trial. That is too long. That is too much work
for my $18.

I had plans today. After I wasn't picked for the jury, I was going
to go Christmas shopping. That was before #2 son succumbed to
the pinkeye. Then my plan was to pick up #2 son from my Hillbilly
Mama's house. I would also put HH's bonus check in the bank,
pick up a prescription, and and pay some bills. WRONG!

I thought I might be excused from the jury, because I had to tell
again how MODOT stole my family land to put in Hwy 32 behind
our home. But no...that wasn't good enough. The other lawyer
asked if any of us had ever worked for a government agency. I had
to explain my 5 years with the Missouri Division of Employment
Security. I think that's what did it. It made me neutral again.

Not only was I picked for the jury, I was the FIRST one picked.
That means everybody else in my row, #1-6, was excused. There
was an audible gasp when my name was announced as the first
juror. I'm sure it was because of my blogging fame as Hillbilly
Mom. But then again, it could have been the collective fear of
those who realized their chance of being picked had just increased
by 6 numbers. Hey! The alternate was #40. They usually don't go
past the low 30s.

Now I am tired and I am cranky and I have to be back at the
courthouse by 8:30 tomorrow morning.

I do not like to go 'waiting' in the jury pool.
I do not like parking on the street.
I do not like sitting with no heat.
I do not like imposing on my Hillbilly Mam.
I do not like it, Sam-I-Am!

4 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

Goodness, you have gotten an overdose of civic duty lately. Surely the fates have some truly great reward for you!

1:02 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Hi Hillbilly Mom,

Do you like to wait in queues?
Do you like to sit on Pews?
Do you like to raise your hand?
Do you say "Guilty be damned"?

Look on the bright side, you umm..., that is you umm..., you see it is like umm..., screw it it is screwed!
HooRoo
Rebecca

1:23 AM  
Blogger Chickadee said...

OMG, I just heard on the news about the dam in Iron county breaking. You don't live anywhere close to that do you? I heard it was a BAD thing. Hope you're okay.

In regards to the jury thing...gah. I'm sure you'll have a good blogging story for us.

http://www.danno.org/blogs

8:09 AM  
Blogger Hillbilly Mom said...

Kim,
I wonder what is in store for me...The bailiff told us the other pool of 120 jurors has only been called in 3 times.

Bec,
No. I do not like to wait in lines. I don't mind the pews. That is what we sit on in the courtroom. I don't go to church, but I hear they have them there, too. I do like to raise my hand, because that's how you get disqualified from jury. No, I don't say the damned word. Around my kids.

Chick,
I heard about Taum Sauk dam in the courtroom this morning. Someone said it happened about 6:00 a.m. They said it affected Lesterville. The circuit clerk came in around 8:45 and said it was reported that everyone in Lesterville had been accounted for. I don't know if that's still correct. I am north and east of there, but Iron County does border on our county.

2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home