Saturday, December 03, 2005

It's the Thought That Counts. I Guess.














Maybe I'll get one of these for Christmas. Maybe not. Whether I
want it or not does not determine what my Hillbilly Husband gets
for me.

He has bought me clothing 3 sizes too small. (Wishful thinking.)
He has bought me books I had no interest in reading. (I should
have expected this from a guy who moved my books into our
new house and put some books on the bookshelf according to
"how they looked." That means they were the big, thick books.
No rhyme or reason as to fiction, how-to, textbooks, best
sellers, etc.) He has bought me candy when I'm on a diet. (He
was hungry for candy.) He has bought me perfume. (I don't
wear any fragrance.) He means well. It's the thought that counts.

One of my friends said the worst present her husband ever gave
her was a bicycle. What's not to like about a bicycle? Sure, maybe
it's not romantic, but it's useful.

The worst gift HH ever gave me was a little red Dirt Devil vacuum.
It was a handheld thing, not big enough to clean the floor, too big
to suck up those small spills. That was the year I had given birth to
#1 son on December 12. I sat in a rocking chair holding him while
HH's boys, ages 14 and 12, brought me gifts and unwrapped them
for me. The younger one unwrapped that Dirt Devil, and said,
"Hmm." He looked at HH. HH said, "I thought you could use it."
It's the thought that counts. A couple months later, I was looking
for that Dirt Devil. I asked HH where it was. He said, "Oh, I took
it out to the workshop. It's just right for cleaning up." Now I know
why he gave me a Dirt Devil.

The best gift HH has given me is a tie between a gift card and a
chair. OK, so you may not think they would be good as gifts...
but they suited me just fine. The gift card was for Waldenbooks,
$100. (Good job with the Christmas bonuses, HH's employer!)
The chair was a red cushy office chair with adjustable height, and
5 wheels, a tilty thingy, and arms at just the right height. I am sitting
on it now. HH got it at Office Max, and smuggled it into the house
after storing it in the barn for weeks. Shows you how much I get
over to the barn, huh?

I tell HH every year not to get me anything. I can always pick
out something for myself. Christmas gifts are for the kids. Even
big kids, like HH. I really do prefer giving to receiving.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

The worst present I ever got was a juicer. I don't drink juice.

On my birthday a few years ago, Mike came home and we were visiting about the day, yada yada, and I said my mom had been the first to wish me Happy Birthday. He got a really strange look and suddenly had an "errand" to run. He and Lullah came back with a juicer in a WalMart bag.

Sweet.

10:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That;s why I started cutting pictures out of the sales paper. I give him more then what I want and tell him sizes and the place to buy and then he can decided what to buy out of the pile.

9:30 AM  
Blogger Miss Cellania said...

For the life of me, I cannot remember my husband ever getting me a Christmas gift besides chocolate-covered cherries. And that was just one year.

Glad to find your blog! I'm also a hillbilly older mother of two. I'm a Kentuckian, though I once lived in Missouri for a few years.

3:51 PM  
Blogger Redneck Diva said...

Mr. Diva is a horrible gift buyer, too. He let the kids pick me out THREE yellow gold pieces of jewelry last year for Mother's Day. I don't wear much jewelry nor do I wear yellow gold. The large, ostentatious list posted to the fridge every year is obviously written in a foreign language he doesn't understand.

7:41 PM  
Blogger Hillbilly Mom said...

Kim,
Hmm...I am wondering...does Mike drink juice, or was this item near the front of the store?

DayBy,
That's an idea. But mine would substitute something similar, in a size that was "all they had."

Miss,
Chocolate-covered cherries? That is what Dolly Parton's mom got her dad for Christmas every year. It must be a hillbilly thing. Though that was in Kentucky, not Tennessee. I wonder if the Coal Miner's Daughter had any experience with this in HER family. Well, until she took off at 13 to get married, that is.

Diva,
That's the problem. It was written in English, not REDNECK.

8:44 PM  
Blogger Queen Of Cheese said...

Mr.Coach was never a gift buyer, so one year I finally got him what he got me......not a damn thing! Now, I get something, it may not be much or what I want but it's something. This year Natalie did the shopping. SCARY!

8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home