Saturday, February 11, 2006

HH's New Pillow

Last weekend, I told my Hillbilly Husband that I was worried about
our new stray puppies fitting into their box. The box was built for
our stray kittens, with a round little hole to get in and out, about the
size of coffee can lid. Or do people even buy coffee in cans these
days? I don't know. I'm not a coffee drinker. In case they don't, it's
about the size of a lid from Planters Cheese Balls. I'm sure everyone
knows about those. They are Hillbilly young 'un delicacies. These
puppies ate so much that they could barely waddle through that
hole. The had to lie down and scooch through. I knew the weather
was supposed to turn colder, so I told HH they needed a small
dog house so they wouldn't freeze.

HH took off to The Family Center, where he could find only two
styles of dog house. One was for big dogs, and the other for almost-
as-big dogs. He bought the smaller of the two for $40. I was not
real happy with it. To these puppies, it was cavernous. They were
used to a cozy little box that warmed with their body heat. More
on that house later.

HH was right proud of his purchase. He came in carrying a big
pillow. "Look what I got for our bed. It came free with the dog
house."

I looked at it. "It's for the dog."

"I'm not giving it to those pups to tear up! We'll put it in our bed."


Sure, the pillow looks nice,
with its thin flannel plaid
covering. But it is filled with
cedar shavings. I told HH
he was not putting it in our
bed. HH acted offended.
"Well, I don't know why
not. It's just a pillow."

He read the tag (which he has since ripped off the pillow).
"Recommended for pet use only. Huh! Well I'll give it to Grizzly
before I give it to those pups." Grizzly is our 7-year-old half
Beagle, half Lab that we got from the Humane Society. He was
already named, so I can't explain it. He doesn't look like a bear.

Now, to the problem with the dog house. HH brought it up on
the porch, because the pups didn't know how to go up and
down the steps. He set it on the back porch, near Grizzly's
food and water dishes. I could have told him this meant trouble.
Grizzly doesn't like the pups. They make him nervous, and he
turns up his nose and tip-toes away from them, all stiff-legged.
Like he's really put out that they dared run up under his feet.
Like he's royalty and they are peasants.

Here is the new house on
our back porch. Yes, we
have housekeeping issues.
HH couldn't pass up an old
school desk, and what
better place to keep it than
the back porch. The fish


bowl, I can't explain. It's been there about 3 years, since the
free goldfish #1 son got in a baggie in preschool died after a
long, unwanted life of 3 years. Go figure! You buy a good
fish and it goes belly-up in a few weeks. Want to get rid of
an annoying free fish, and it lives three freakin' years!

Anyhoo, if you look closely in the house, there is Grizzly. The
pups sat in the house all of 45 minutes, then went to sit where
their box used to be, and whined. Grizzly must have thought,
"Oh, my man has brought me a new house. Now I don't
have to go to the one under the porch, so far away from my
food and water. I'll just need to redecorate a bit--get rid of
some of these excess cedar chips. Now, I'm all set. I pity
the fool who tries to take my new house away from me."

HH had to bring the kitten box back for the pups. Then on Monday
night, he went to the barn with #1 son, and they built a puppy house
in 3 hours. It looks pretty good for an HH project.

The pups really do fit inside.
They appear freakishly large
in this photo, but they are not
really Rodan puppies. It is a
lesson in perspective, people.
The pups are in the foreground,
and appear larger than they


actually are. They are not such good housekeepers themselves.
The box has a hinged board on the top to put food inside, so the
other animals don't bully them and feast on puppy chow. Because
nobody is satisfied with his own menu. Grizzly wants the cat food,
the cats want the fish food or the puppy food, and the pups want
Grizzly's dog food. Finicky beasts!

HH has delayed giving Grizzly his pillow. I'd better not wake up
to find it in our bed. Then HH will be in the dog house.

6 Comments:

Blogger LanternLight said...

So do the pups have names yet?

And don't the dawgs freeze out in the snow?

6:42 PM  
Blogger Hillbilly Mom said...

Lantern,
The kids can't decide on names yet. They did not like the suggestions of "Sonic" and "Fitty."

They don't freeze because when they huddle together in their cedar chips, in that little box, it gets warm. Not so warm that I would want to spend the night in it, but I bet it's in the 45-50 degree Fahrenheit range. When you reach in to pet them, it feels much warmer than the air outside the box.

7:21 PM  
Blogger Chickadee said...

The puppy house looks nice and hooray for Grizzly that he got a new house out of the deal.

I think I would be grossed out having a pillow meant for a dog laying in the bed. I would also imagine that it wouldn't be too comfy for a human head either with those cedar shavings inside of it.

http://www.danno.org/blogs

10:34 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Hi Hillbilly Mom,
It is nice to see you still have Fitty and Sonic Cherry.
I don't care if your kids don't like the names, they don't get a say in this matter. :-P
HooRoo
Rebecca

3:31 AM  
Blogger Redneck Diva said...

LOL

Only Hillbilly Husband...or Mr. Diva.

My allergies would go haywire if there was a pillow full of cedar in my bed.

Drunken spelling challenge: xsgun
Can you have an excess of guns?

4:26 PM  
Blogger Hillbilly Mom said...

Chick,
Grizzly LOVES his new pillow. We gave it to him last night.


Bec,
Thank goodness I didn't need any help in naming my KIDS. I think their numbers suit them quite nicely.


Diva,
No such thing as too many guns. And apparently, no such thing as a free pillow.

4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home