Thursday, February 09, 2006

The Musical Stylings of Hillbilly Mom

Northend Nique shared a little meme with me. I had a very hard
time picking 7 songs. The other songs will think I don't like them
any more. But this was the best I could do. They are only from
my computer media library. I couldn't begin to look through all
my CDs or (gasp!) cassette tapes or (EEEEEE!) vinyl. I am OLD,
people! Haven't you been listening to me? Can't you hear my bones
a-creakin'?

I am not known for playing by the rules, but here they are anyway.
You should pick the seven songs you are most into at the moment.
No matter what genre, whether they have words, or if they're any
good. It just has to be ones you like listening to right now. Then
tag seven other people to see what songs they like. That's where
I'm breaking the rules. Anybody who wants it can have it.


Seven Songs Enjoyed by Hillbilly Mom


1) Do I Ever Cross Your Mind...Joan Osborne
This song was written by Dolly Parton, but I like the Joan Osborne
version better. Sorry Dolly. I can sing along with Joan, because she's
not quite so high and screechy, but I can still sing some of yours.

2) The Grass Is Blue...Norah Jones
How can you go wrong, with Dolly Parton as the songwriter, and
daughter of Ravi Shankar as the singer?

3) Picture...Sheryl Crow and Kid Rock
I just like it.

4) Battleflag (lo-Fidelity Allstars Remix)...Pigeonhed
Well, it has a beat. It's a little taste of anarchy for the eardrums.

5) Mary Jane's Last Dance...Tom Petty
"Oh, my, my...Oh, h*ll yes."

6) Sharp Cutting Wings...Lucinda Williams
I am a sucker for her worn-out country voice. Might I also
recommend her 'Car Wheels on a Gravel Road' CD? This
particular song came from the Niagara, Niagara soundtrack,
which doesn't have a loser in the bunch.

7) Whisper My Name...Randy Travis
Tough to choose from Mr. Travis. He has that old-timey country
sound. I am also partial to his Look Heart, No Hands. And...
Hard Rock Bottom of Your Heart. But that would really be
cheating.

As you can see, I'm a little bit country. I had to leave off a
gazillion songs I really, really like. But these are some current
favorites.

10 Comments:

Blogger Dominique said...

I need like a "Damned 500" really. It's VERY hard to pick only seven, I know. Such great picks though!

9:57 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Hi Hillbilly Mom,
Surely my rendition of "Goes like it goes" should have at least got an honourable mention. :-P

Yes, this is my "one phone call" again.
HooRoo
Rebecca

10:07 PM  
Blogger Hillbilly Mom said...

Nique,
I hope the other songs will forgive me.


Bec,
I hope "Goes Like it Goes" forgives me for daring you to sing it. It was an honorable effort, but I need to send you one of Hillmomba's buckets full of holes so you can carry the tune. Confess now, did you ever really HEAR what the actual song sounds like? Surely it can be found. It's an Academy-Award-winning song, for cryin' out loud! From NORMA RAE.

10:31 PM  
Blogger MamaKBear said...

I love "Picture"! MrKB and I are considering singing it on karaoke at the next family reunion.

Yep, a bunch of us get drunk and sing! Well, we don't have to be drunk, but it makes it more fun!

11:46 PM  
Blogger Queen Of Cheese said...

I love Picture. It's just a really great song. Natalie and I sing it constantly in the car, drives the rest of the family nuts!

8:15 AM  
Blogger Hillbilly Mom said...

MamaKB,
That would be a great one for Karaoke.


Mrs.,
I, too, sing it in the car. But I have to leave out the "d*mn" and the "h*ll" because my narc-ish little son will have a fit. He told on teachers on a field trip bus for singing "H*ll yeah!" with Gretchen Wilson on Redneck Woman.

4:30 PM  
Blogger Redneck Diva said...

Norah Jones rocks. And "Picture" rocks.

Hell, Hillbilly Mom, YOU rock.

(Feeling particularly uninspired this morning. Hoping to get that way before I try to write about my hellish last 2 days. *sigh*)

9:59 AM  
Blogger Hillbilly Mom said...

Diva,
YOU rock, Missy! Suck it up and write that post! Don't MAKE me list my disco favorites!

10:45 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

OOOOOOO do a disco list!!!!!!!!!

I love me some funk! (the dancing kind, not the smelly kind)

3:45 PM  
Blogger Hillbilly Mom said...

Kim,
Be careful what you wish for. I might just make a disco list. Because I am VERY old, and I remember disco.

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home