Friday, March 31, 2006

How Do You Get To Carnegie Hall ?

OK, my boy is not going to Carnegie Hall. But he IS going to the
Math Contest on Saturday. Hey! That's tomorrow! We have been
busy practicing. That's how you get to Carnegie Hall, you know:
practice, practice, practice!

The boy is pretty sharp. Last year, in 4th grade, he earned an
Honorable Mention ribbon. He says there were 150 students
from grades 4, 5, 6 last year. I don't know how many schools,
but I'm thinking around 15 or 20. Now he's thirsty for more. I hope
he at least gets a ribbon so he won't be disappointed. The 7th/8th
grade math teacher said the scores at their contest this year were
exceptionally high. The score that won last year would not have
placed this year. We'll see how things go.

While I wish my #1 son success, I don't wish him TOO much
success, because if he gets a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place in one of the
categories, he qualifies for the State Math Contest. Last year
it was in Springfield. I don't know about this year. He's already
going to the Missouri State Youth Bowling Tournament next
weekend in Lee's Summit. His league goes every year.

Hmm...can you say 'nerd'? That's my boy! I think I'll keep him.
And now, we have to get back to practice. The break is over.

3 Comments:

Blogger iLL Man said...

HM, I hope he does well. I was rotten at maths at school. Literally could not count. A mathematical dislexsyc.

5:00 PM  
Blogger Redneck Diva said...

Oh I always wanted to raise a little junior nerd just like I was . . . seems Abby's out of the running now seeing as how she keeps trying to fail at least three classes at a time. At least she's somewhat of an overachiever at her attempts to fail. *sigh*

But at least I have two more children . . . there's still hope.

2:33 PM  
Blogger Hillbilly Mom said...

Ill Man,
Some people lack the math gene, I think. I've had students who try SO VERY HARD, but still can't get it. And I'm sure it's not my fault, or their regular math teacher's fault! Some people can't do math.

Diva,
Perhaps Abby can't be bothered with the regular book learnin'. My #2 son is like that. He will read on his own, and still gets A's (he's only in 2nd grade), but his teacher is always commenting that he won't pay attention, or that he does other things while she is teaching the lesson. I think many of our students are basically bored out of their heads during the school day, because they are way ahead of what is being taught. They don't see why they should do worksheets and questions when they understand exactly what the teacher was talking about.

My little nerd, though, is an adult pleaser. He is the type who would raise his hand at 2:30 on a Friday afternoon and say, "Excuse me...you forgot to give us some homework for the weekend." I am pretty sure he will get thumped every day in Middle School.

3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home