Wednesday, March 22, 2006

My Day Equals Math

Today was one of those days when my students needed help with
math. All day. Every class except 2nd hour, in which the two who
need math help were busy last-minuting their 4 source cards that
were due today for their Language II paper.

Have you ever done math for 5 hours? Sorry, Mabel. I see your
hand up, but you don't count. Math is your life. I, on the other
hand, am accustomed to a balance of brain food. Hillbilly Mom
does not live by math alone. She needs a variety to stay healthy.

I feel like Forrest Gump's friend Bubba. I did two-step equations
to solve for a variable math, I did expanding expressions math, I
did simplifying expressions involving exponents math, I did
multiplying binomials math, I did graphing inequalities math, I did
percentages using equivalent fractions math, I did multiplying by
two numbers math, I did long division math, I did adding and
subtracting fractions after finding the lowest common denominator
math, and I did word problems to find percents math.

Whew! Any way you slice it, that's a lot of math. I've had my fill
of math today, my friends. I know this has been my karmatic just
desserts for telling my buddy Mabel: "It's not like it's HARD to
teach math." That was after I found out I will be teaching 3 math
classes next year. Remedial math classes.

Anyhoo, every time I close my eyes, I see numbers. I am like
John Nash portrayed by Russell Crowe in A Beautiful Mind,
with numbers swirling all around, written on the windows and
walls. Except that I am not a genius, and I am not mentally ill,
and I don't see Ed Harris when he's not really there, and I do
not have an imaginary roommate, Paul Bettany, and I do not
throw cell phones at hotel employees. But otherwise just like
that.

I am NOT going to watch Numb3rs Friday night.

6 Comments:

Blogger MamaKBear said...

Bleh...I'll just say this:

I HATE MATH!! Spelling is much more my thing! :)

8:24 PM  
Blogger jules said...

When ya start dreaming about math, it's time to wash your mind out with soap.

9:35 PM  
Blogger Redneck Diva said...

I'd rather set my hair on fire than do math.

I'd rather change poopy diapers for 9 hours a day than do math.

Oh wait. I do change poopy diapers for 9 hours a day just so I won't have to do math.

6:59 AM  
Blogger Hillbilly Mom said...

MamaKB,
All my students hate it too. But they hate spelling just as much.

Jules,
Actually, my dream last night was about band. But not about band CAMP.

Diva,
Do you take off the pirate do-rag to set your hair on fire? Or is it some type of catalyst? Perhaps you can invent some type of poopy-diaper contraption, win the American Inventor show, and hire someone to do your math for you.

5:30 PM  
Blogger Chickadee said...

Ohhh man, I HATE math. In fact, I'm pretty sure that I have some kind of math learning disability. I'm not kidding. I also had a college professor tell me that. Problem was was that the college learning center did not test for learning disabilities and I couldn't afford the 300+ bucks it would take to get tested for learning disabilities over at UMSL. Besides, what would it change? I know that math is difficult for me.

I don't envy you but as much as you hate it, you just may be the woman for the job. :)

8:42 PM  
Blogger Hillbilly Mom said...

Chick,
I have several student who might have a math learning disability. But usually by the time I get them, it has been identified, and they have an IEP. Which means they take LD math, and I can't have them. Funny thing, many of my kids can't put a sentence together, but they catch on to math like it's a newfangled video game. It really helps their self-esteem to be good at something academic.

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home