Monday, March 20, 2006

Template Schmemplate

Could I possibly be more boring? I have nothing to say lately.
Nobody has told me I'm OH SO PRETTY at Save-A-Lot. My
Sonic lovahhhh, my man-boy, has not been working the drive-thru.
My Hillbilly Husband has not committed a major faux pas since
the free hot tub incident. My #1 son has not been quizzing me on
the space-time continuum when I'd rather be car-singing. My #2
son has not exposed himself or slapped a librarian on the behind.
Mabel has not given me any lip. Rebecca has not stolen anything.
What's a gal to do?

I popped in to visit MamaKBear the other day, when she was
bemoaning her lack of smacking. Seems she submitted her blog
to I Talk Too Much, and they didn't like her style. Don't your
worry your OH SO PRETTY head over that, MamaKB. I like
your style. And...you've given me an idea for today's post!

Does it really matter to any of you what template a blog has? I
don't give a rat's behind what it looks like. I am there to read, not
gaze at the template. In fact, if it takes to long to load, I am outta
there like a cat being chased to insert 5 antibiotic drops in each
ear twice a day. Yes, well...I'm having some pet issues at the
moment. Anyhoo, the template means nothing to me. Grab a free
one, folks. No need to waste your money pleasing me. No need
to put on airs. If you're funny or interesting, I'll read you. I don't
care about the doodads in your sidebar. I don't care if you use
Blogger templates. I am all about the CONTENT, baby! And
about talking like George Costanza.

I've used several Blogger templates between this blog and my
old Redneck Review blog. I've been green, gray, and blue.
I think this is the longest I've kept one. I do not think the ol'
mansion has ever gotten a new coat of paint. I thought about it
the other day, with spring coming and all. Maybe lighten up a little,
since the winter has passed, and I'm not blue anymore. Then
I remembered that I have to beg help from #1 son to add my
statcounter again, which is sometimes a pain. So I've decided
to procrastinate a bit more.

Does the look of the blog really matter to you? What are your
opinions? Would you stop reading one because of the template?
Would you read a less interesting blog because it has a nice
template? Do you think a good template means a better blogger?
Would you not read one because of spelling/grammar errors?
Do you think only the educated bloggers are worthy of reading?
Are the big-name bloggers more interesting than the common,
everyday bloggers?

Here now! Don't be overwhelmed with your assignment! Just
pick one question to answer. No need to be afraid of failure...
I am grading on content, not spelling and grammar. Please
line up single file to deposit your comments in Mrs. Hillbilly
Mom's comment-saver-thingy.

10 Comments:

Blogger LanternLight said...

Just pick one question to answer.

"What would you like to drink?"

In a deep champagne goblet, I'll have:
Three measures of Gordon's
One of vodka
half a measure of Kina Lillet.
Shake it very well until it's ice-cold, then add a large thin slice of lemon-peel.

Ohhh, one of your questions. It's all about YOU, I see...

Does the look of the blog really matter to you?

No, I'll read it if it's interesting. If the host provides a free drink, shaken not stirred, even better.

Would you not read one because of spelling/grammar errors?

If you START TALKING IN CAPITALS, or start using lamer talk dudez, I'm going to have to dust the long gun off :-)

Now, where's that drink???

11:10 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

I'm shallow enough to say that yes, poor grammar and spelling turn me off in most cases. I am not perfect in my spelling or my grammar, but if a blogs reads like a diary of a 1st grader, then I'm out of there.
Also, the color of the print in contrast with the color of the back ground make a difference for me. If I have a hard time reading it, I usually won't. White on black is always good. Or black on white. Dark blue or purple on black, not good. Or light yellow or pink on white, also not good.
But other than that, I don't think I'm being too picky. I don't even drink so the free drink thing doesn't even have to happen. Unless you got some Sonic vanilla Dr. Pepper, easy on the ice.

7:48 AM  
Blogger Queen Of Cheese said...

Doesn't matter to me what it looks like, considering mine isn't great either.....blog that is!!!

8:02 AM  
Blogger Redneck Diva said...

I do look at the templates and think that a neat, well-done blog just puts you across better, but it doesn't keep me from reading one if I like what they're saying. I do agree with Lantern, though - that l33tsp33k crap can take a dive n2 the nearest sinkhole.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Hi Hillbilly Mom,
If you want to keep the same old readers coming back, then keep your blog the way it is, ala Moe's Tavern.
But if you want to get new readers in, then maybe a splash of paint here and there could help, just remember though, no matter what you do, you will always have your bar buddies here.
HooRoo
Rebecca

5:40 PM  
Blogger Chickadee said...

In regards to the template, I really don't give rat's behind...the only times I get picky as you said, if the dang thing takes too long to load, them I'm outta there. I will also not read a blog if the template is too busy (vertical stripes of obnoxious colors, lots of crap on the side bars etc) or if the writing is too light and I have to work to read it.

I also stay away from blogs that have an obnoxious amount of grammar errors and poor sentence structure.

http://www.danno.org/

6:02 PM  
Blogger Hillbilly Mom said...

Lantern,
WooHoo! Sorry you missed the Saturday Search Party! We could have hooked you up with a good hillbilly jug of moonshine.

Bonus point for reminding people my blog is ALL ABOUT ME! Oops! Sorry about those CAPS.

Lizzie,
I enjoy the normals, too. And the abnormals. Those a$$kissing comments on the poopular blogs wear me out. Apparently Lanternlight has thrown a party at the mansion while I was away at work. Blasted time difference! He's in charge of the drinks.

Stacie,
I'm with you on the contrast thingy. Good thing I'm building a Sonic on my new land that we purchased from the LandStealer. A round of Sonic for all commenters!

Mrs.,
Oooo! Such a comment! Do you feel naaauuuuughty? (That's on my favorite episode of Courage the Cowardly Dog).

Diva,
Thanks for the idea of sinkhole diving. Now I have a new party game for Saturday Search Parties! And in the future, I might just start replying to your comments with searches from your own blog, you 'diuretic hormones sissy'! Open up your 'lunch box purse metal cowboy', and eat a 'situpon sandwich'. Ooohh! I am lovin' your keyword searches. They're like crack for Hillbilly Mom.

Bec,
I'm perfectly happy with my regulars. I ain't tryin' to put on airs or get rich or famous. That's what the lottery and bank robbin' are for.

6:08 PM  
Blogger Hillbilly Mom said...

Chick,
You certainly are a sneaky snake, slithering that comment in whilst I was typing up my replies!

I don't like those blogs with the flower background. They take forever and a day to load. My time is better spent waiting in the drive-thru line at Sonic.

6:22 PM  
Blogger MamaKBear said...

Awwww Thanks Hillbilly Mom! I knew not to expect too much when I submitted my blog for a review..just got too curious for my own good.

I like my blog just fine the way it is...and to answer one of your questions, the template doesn't make that much of a difference to me. I do like seeing ones that are different from most (Hiya Diva!) but like you, if they're funny or interesting enough, I'm gonna read them!

And I do hope that you'll excuse me if my grammer ain't always the best! LOL I've been told before that I type with an accent. :)

1:50 PM  
Blogger Hillbilly Mom said...

MamaKB,
I read them for content. Your grammar is fine with me. I have enough correcting to do at work, so I don't look for grammar in blogs.

I do like to read that I Talk 2 Much site, though. Just to see what they're ragging on every day.

5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home