Saturday, February 11, 2006

Disco HM

Put on your tightest jeans. We're goin' to a disco! Kim asked for it.
Really. It's in the comments of my musical stylings post. Feather
your hair, or punk it up--whatever style you prefer. Let's boogie!

Here are some of my favorite disco tunes:

Feels Like I'm In Love...Kelly Marie
Don't Let Go...Isaac Hayes
Ladies Night...Kool & The Gang
The Wanderer...Donna Summer
Funkytown...Lips, Inc.
Celebration...Kool & the Gang
Dim All the Lights...Donna Summer
Second Time Around...Shalamar
Workin' My Way Back To You...Spinners
Disco Evita...Festival
Upside Down/I'm Comin' Out...Diana Ross
I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie, Honeybunch)...Bonnie Pointer
I Love the Nightlife...Alicia Bridges
Bad Girls...Donna Summer
I Will Survive...Gloria Gaynor
Sweet Sensation...Stephanie Mills
Knock on Wood...Amii Stewart
Don't Leave Me This Way...Thelma Houston
Never Knew Love Like This Before...Stephanie Mills
Everlasting Love...Carl Carlton
Shake Your Groove Thing...Peaches & Herb
We Are Family...Sister Sledge
Makin' It...David Naughton
Heaven Must Have Sent You...Bonnie Pointer
I Feel Love...Donna Summer

Do you see (Donna Summer) a pattern here, people?

This list might be incomplete. I can't remember that far back,
for some odd reason. Yeah, this list makes me want to park
my walker over in the corner, take off my shawl and my hairnet,
tighten the laces on my orthopedic shoes, spray some WD40
on my arthritic old joints, and boogie oogie oogie. I dare any
of you to sit still during such a rousing disco playlist. Get down,
people! Disco, we hardly knew ye. Seems like only 4 years or
so until PUNK bashed in your noggin' and ruined the clubbin'
for everybody. Stupid, spiky-haired, safety-pin piercing, bad-
haircut-wearing punk!

I hope you didn't expect too much from my disco selection.
Where did you THINK I acquired my taste for it, Studio 54?
This is about as disco as you're going to get in southwest
Missouri. Our culture is not exactly famous for cutting-edge
sophistication.

So there you have it, Kim. Midwestern disco, circa 1979-81.
Enjoy.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

oh thank you Hillybilly Mom!

Alas, I did not see any KC and the Sunshine Band, but you did say it wasn't a complete list.

I still remember the first time I went to a "club". I was 16 (I started early) and the floor was EXACTLY like the one in Saturday Night Fever. I could have died a happy girl right then and there.

Happy times.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Redneck Diva said...

My hair feathered and my pant legs belled out just reading this post.

Boogie oogie oogie indeed

4:28 PM  
Blogger Hillbilly Mom said...

Kim,
Yes, it is incomplete. But KC was not the way I liked it. I did not much like to shake shake shake my booty.

We did not have a light-up dance floor. Go figure!


Diva,
Ahh...for the simpler times of disco.

4:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home