Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Duty, Duty, Who's Got The Duty?

This is my week for lunch duty. I circled it in the Faculty
Handbook. November 14-18.

Monday, I got to the lunchroom, and Mr. K was walking down
the line, checking for ID cards. If the kids don't have their card,
they have to let the ones with cards in front of them. I got there
before the lunch tardy bell, so it wasn't like a pointed reminder
that I was late. Mr. K likes to needle the students, so I thought
he was just doing it for fun. He saw me standing by the kitchen
door, and said, "Oh. Do you have duty?" These men! They won't
read a schedule. They try to guess alphabetically.

The problem started last week, when it was Ms. A's duty. She
was gone to a conference, so Mr. G said he was doing it, and
she'd owe him 2 days. When she returned, she agreed. Monday,
she showed up, too. She usually doesn't eat with us unless it is her
duty week, because she has a flexible schedule and can take any
of the 3 lunch shifts. Now, there might have been some confusion
because Mr. G was gone Monday.

So...I did the lunch line thingy. Then I sat down at the faculty
table. We are lucky to have HS lunch duty, and don't really have
to walk around the perimeter. The kids are pretty good. Pretty
good, because we have the worst HS lunch duty: 9th Grade!

Whoever has duty watches them while eating, and tells them
to clean up their ketchup, and not to mix the pudding in the
mashed potatoes, and not to drink the gravy like a shot, they
can't leave to use the phone, go to their locker, etc. So at the
end of lunch, I waited to make sure nobody left a tray or
trash on the tables, necessitating a stalking and extradition
from 4th hour class to clean it up. Ms. A was also walking
around. I wanted to say, "That's really nice of you to help me
with my lunch duty today." But I didn't. I want to see it hit
the fan when Mr. G has his next duty week (after mine) and
accosts Ms. A for the two days she owes him.

I am not very sympathetic toward Mr. G. One day he asked
me to do his lunch duty for him so he could put his grades in
the computer. I agreed, because they had trouble hooking
up the computer in his room, and I assumed he would trade
me for a day of duty when it was my week. Well, you know
what they say about assuming... He never offered to take
one of my days, so now he can work this out himself.

I am not very sympathetic to Ms. A, either. She has missed
duty before because she forgot.

I know. I'm Evil. But all these people have to do is read a
freakin' schedule. There's even one posted in the teacher
workroom across the hall from the lunchroom, in case they
have lost their Faculty Handbooks.

Hey, I am only trying to teach them responsibility.



7 Comments:

Blogger Queen Of Cheese said...

Get this schedule....Mr. Coach has gym duty each day because, well, he's in the gym all day pretty much. He has basketball before lunch and after lunch so it just makes sense that he has the duty. He uses it to get about 10 minutes extra practice both ways. WELLLLL...now that it IS basketball season, he's got a rotation in the lunchroom. WHO MAKES UP THIS STUFF????? Apparently the person enjoying restaurant food behind an OAK desk not an over-sized sheet of plywood on an old desk!

9:14 PM  
Blogger Redneck Diva said...

Goodness, Hillbilly Mom, I'm exhausted now. I have just read your entire front page of your blog. My eyes are blurry, my head aches, yet strangely I have a warm sense of satisfaction and peace. Life can continue on now - I have had my HM fix.

Sorry I've been a bit on the scarce side and haven't been around to comment and get in on the Becklakian adventures. If you still need my help with the crown retrieval and other mischief and merriment, just let me know! Btw, do I get an official appointment like Mrs. did? I'm pretty good at changing diapers and wiping snotty noses. And hoo doggies, you oughta see how fast I can put together a PB&J sandwich!

10:08 PM  
Blogger Hillbilly Mom said...

Mrs.
Nothing in a school is logical. Get used to it.

We have a little group who always gets take-out lunch. One of them drives to get it ON SCHOOL TIME!!! As you can see, I am not in the popular group. I take my lunch, ever since the BB coach got a moldy hamburger. No, it wasn't the bun--the freakin' MEAT had mold on it. The cook said, "Oh, I'll get you another one." And he said, "Don't bother."

Diva,
I thought I shouldn't have told people I don't like visitors.

I think you've been busy enough burning your baby's fingers and cracking her head open. My #2 got a head-splitting one time, and I was ready to rush him to the ER. Those little holes in the head sure do bleed.

I plan to appoint you to a Hillmomban office, but I have to think about where your talents can best be utilized. I'll get back to you on that.

10:22 PM  
Blogger jules said...

You want the teachers to READ A SCHEDULE AND FOLLOW RULES....Bwahhaaaaaaahaaahaaahaaa
(You fool!)

11:06 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

HI Hillbilly Mom,
This place sounds like the kind of school where the teachers use excuses like; "I can't do duty because I have a note from my mum." Or "I didn't know it was my turn, my dog ate my roster."
I feel sorry for the students.
HooRoo
Rebecca

12:40 PM  
Blogger Hillbilly Mom said...

Jules,
I know, I'm hitching my wagon to a star. My attempts at making chicken salad and a silk purse didn't turn out so well, either.

Bec,
No, that would require imagination. The usual excuse is, "Well...I forgot." Surprisingly, they are good to the kids. It's just thinking they HAVE to BE RESPONSIBLE that makes them try to weasel out of it.

5:03 PM  
Blogger Mommy Needs a Xanax said...

Duty sucks. There are 3 different brands of the stuff where I work, and I have to do one of them every other week. Lots of teachers NEVER do their duty. Now, I do admit that I have forgotten. It was accidental, and it was early in the year when I was barely surviving my days. I think it was the same week I had to debate on whether or not I should tell a kid that my cat had eaten his homework. (It was true.)

6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home