Sunday, June 18, 2006

HM, Archaeology Woman, Retired


















Here are a couple more photos of those blade/arrowhead thingies.
Their 3D image doesn't translate well with my photography. I put
that granite-looking thing in too, because it is OH SO PRETTY
with that white patch on the end. It is sparkly in the sun. I would
use it for a whacker of some kind, because it's heavy.

I am not going to post my hoe-looking or scraper-shaped or
round flat sandstone collection at this time. I will wait for the next
big rain and see what washes up, or we will get a little spade to dig
in the creek bottom. The bed is big flat rocks, with crevices. I'd like
to dig out the gravel and see what's under it. Hopefully, not a snake.
The water is only about 4 inches deep right now.



















While I was taking the pics, #1 son ran out to get his treasure, that
broken thingy in the middle. It looks like the tip broke off of a
bigger object. It is sharper than that brown one on the left. Even
though its point looks curved, there is a ridge that is sharp. It also
has a pink look to the inside of it, like that white one has on the back.



















That thingy on the bottom right looks like some kind of hatchet to
me. The color never comes out right in the pictures. It is flat on one
side, and kind of triangular on the other.



















I'm not really the color of boiled lobster. It was hot out in the sun.
You can almost see the shape of this thing here.



















OK, I'm done with that. It's not something I'm an expert on, like
the Gummi Mary. Or Sonic Cherry Diet Coke. Or scratch-off
lottery tickets. Which reminds me...I forgot to tell you about the
latest lottery adventure. Since you've been so patient with the rocks
in my head, I'll share it with you.

We have not been winning at lottery. Our stash of $93 in winning
tickets had dwindled to the last $18. I told the boys if we didn't
win something on Friday, we were going to stop buying them for
a while, until our luck changed again. We had been on a streak of
19 tickets without a winner. That'll learn us! We were riding high
after beating the odds with 3 out of 4 winners a couple times.
That's how we amassed our wealth. So out of that string of 19
losers, I had two left to scratch on Friday. It was a $2 Block
Bingo. I hardly ever win at them. $5 was the most I'd won, and
a $2. That was it. But I keep buying them because nobody has
won any of the $30,000 or $25,000, or $10,000 prizes.

You could grow a long gray beard playing these Block Bingo
tickets. You have to scratch off 30 numbers, and check 5
bingo cards. They are tedious. So I got done, and on the 2nd
bingo card, I had all 4 numbers in the box. WooHoo! It was
a $100 winner! Actually, it was $102, but I don't know why.
So of course we are going to buy more tickets. Not all at
once, of course.

That's all the news from the Mansion today. Thanks to Scribalist
for deciphering my rocks. Now I'm off to work on the next task
for Big Blogger 2. I need my binoculars and a pair of shoes that
doesn't squeak. Hmm...who will I chose to visit? That's your
warning, Cyberhousemates. Pull the shades. Lock the doors.
Hillbilly Mom is out and about.

8 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

Hi Hillbilly Mom,
Looks like you have more rocks there. On the plus side, you seem to have collected another ruler. I think you should go back to the creek and collect more of these rulers, you could hand them out to the Do Nots at school.
Oh, bugger, sorry for reminding you of work.
HooRoo
Rebecca

6:39 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

I happen to like your pictures of rocks. Makes me want to go out and dig around in my driveway since we just had three loads of creek bed rock hauled in.
Last fall I found these monster acorns in my back yard so I posted some pics of them and Diva had the gall to make fun of me! But, that's okay, this fall, I'll find some more and post them again, just because I can.

7:12 AM  
Blogger Mr Bates said...

I now have the "Raiders of the Lost Ark" theme running around in my head!

9:28 AM  
Blogger Redneck Diva said...

Methinks Big Blogger is just another name for Fitty. She's trying to turn us all into her little body-hacking minions.

I have my binoculars out, too. So if we happen to find each other in our binoculars at the same time, let's hope the sun isn't shining directly on us because if conditions were right, I'm thinking that we might both end up with corneal burns. You know, like when you were a kid and burned everything in your posession with a magnifying glass - wood, your flipflops, your sister, the cat....

10:42 AM  
Blogger Bluejinx said...

I'm reminded of a Charlie Brown Halloween. As the kids go door to door for candy, they check their loot after to see what goodies they got. Poor Charlie, after every house says "I got a rock".

Bluejinx

1:52 PM  
Blogger Hillbilly Mom said...

Bec,
These rulers must be kept from the DoNots. The DoNots are only given wooden rulers with Tips For Studying printed on them. If a DoNot gets one of these rulers, he turns it into a helicopter by spinning it on his pencil point. What with getting hit by the flying box of Puffs-With-Aloe last year, I am not taking any chances with helicopters. Know your surroundings. Know your vulnerabilities. That is the only way to survive in DoNotLand.

Stacie,
Now don't go a-sweet-talkin' me on the rocks. I am not posting any more. Sure you love them. It's like my mom telling me one time, "Oh. I like you're haircut. It'll grow."

Methinks that Diva should not be pointing fingers at your monstrous acorns. She of the pus-y infected childfoot photo.

Mr.,
Does that 'Raiders' theme keep away the voices? Is it stuck there like George Costanza going to meet Mr. Benes, singing "Master of the house, keeper of the zoo..."?

Diva,
That's a bit graphic, by cracky!

I did not char things with a magnifying glass, but my kids do. My mother taught them. Along with things like salting potato chips, and putting sugar in soda.

Bluejinx,
Thanks for the idea. Now I don't have to buy candy at Halloween. And I think I'll hold the football for my boys to kick. Bwahaha!

7:39 PM  
Blogger Scribalist said...

Hey HM:

(sorry it took me so long to get on back, my other lives sort of absorbed me for a while)
big hunk of other life: http://archaeology.about.com
That one reddish brownish one with the funny curve sure looks like a knife doesn't it? I wonder if it's been reworked to have a curve to the blade.

I've been recently reading about lesson plans that include archaeology. There's this one woman in Pennsylvania that actually teaches a course in forensic archaeology to her highschool classes. Is that something you've ever done, or would be interested in? If you feel like it, would you mind emailing me if you want or have any ideas or know anybody who's done it?

Here's the interview I did with her:
http://archaeology.about.com/od/educatio1/a/teaching_ideas.htm

Love your column, regardless.

Kris

11:46 AM  
Blogger Hillbilly Mom said...

Scribalist,
I agree that the big one looks like a knife. It has that notch on the end like it could have been hooked to a handle.

I have not done any lessons on archaeology. 8 years ago, I switched from teaching 9th grade Physical Science/10th grade Biology to the At-Risk program. This year, they are changing it a bit to emphasize math and reading, to improve basic skills.

I know that our HS Biology teacher has done some CSI kind of stuff with her classes, but I don't think it was from and archaeology angle.

I read the article, and I plan to forward it to our Bio teacher. It sounds like something the students would enjoy.

Thanks for the info!

3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home