Monday, November 21, 2005

Of Mice and Boys

A couple weeks ago, the boys and I were preparing to vacate the
Hillbilly Mansion for our mad dash hurtling at the speed of my car-
singing toward school and work. #1 son came back into the house
as I was loading #2 with his backpack. "The cats have a mouse!"

"Great. Now we have to look at a partially eaten rodent. That will
take up time."

"No, Mom. It's OK. He's just sitting on the sidewalk by the garage
door."

I expected to find a big hole in his side, or a bloody trail. Nope. It
was a little field mouse, with big Mickey Mouse ears. He was a
cute little thing, like a fluffy gerbil. Not a sleek, rat-looking mouse.
He did appear to be in shock, and his fur was kind of damp. The
boys squatted down to get a good look.

"Don't expect him to be here when we get home. Those cats are
going to eat him, and leave his liver on the sidewalk." (That's what
they did to mice on the porch twice. Nobody would eat the liver.
Go figure.)

"But they don't want him, Mom. Look, Genius is just sitting there
by him."

"Yeah. Till he moves. Then he'll eat him. It's a game of cat and
mouse." Ha, ha. I crack myself up sometimes. "Let's get moving."

We went into the garage. #1 poured the cat food in the feeding
bowl, his usual morning duty. He turned to look back through the
garage door. "Uh...Mom? He's gone."

I looked out to see Genius, the big orange-striped cat, sitting with
his tail curled around his feet. He looked at us, then turned his head
left to look at the road. That's when I saw it. A tail hanging out his
lips, right in the front, like a spaghetti noodle. #1 and I started to
laugh. "Look, Mom! It's just like Garfield, the Movie. 'Have you
tasted yourself lately?' I can't believe he put the whole mouse in!"
So much for sympathy for the poor little mouse.

I don't have a good ending. We had to leave for school, so I don't
know if he spit out the mouse or ate it. The mouse was nowhere
to be seen when we got home. And we never saw a liver, either.

10 Comments:

Blogger jules said...

Too funny. I have two boys and can so see that unfolding in my mind. But then I'm certifiably crazy too.

8:15 PM  
Blogger Hillbilly Mom said...

Jules,
What's this "too" business? Do you have a mouse in your pocket?

8:45 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Rollo (our whiney butt cat) likes to bring us presents inside. Last week one of Lullah's friends asks rather calmly, I thought"Mrs. Kim, does Rollo have a snake?"

Oh, yeah. It was a snake. Granted a smallish, King Snake, but a snake. Ew.

10:55 PM  
Blogger MamaKBear said...

My cat we had when I was growing up would leave those "presents" like that on the back porch, right by the door, so if you weren't paying attention you'd step on a dead mouse or something.

1:51 AM  
Blogger Queen Of Cheese said...

Our dog catches flies, not as interesting as a mouse but still as entertaining. He's terrified of mice so I don't hold out much hope there. My mother's Boston's bring in armadillos through the dog door all the time.

8:44 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Hi Hillbilly Mom,
I am sure in true hillbilly fashion you will think of something to do with the liver.
HooRoo
Rebecca

3:50 PM  
Blogger Hillbilly Mom said...

Kim,
Very observant friend. Hope you don't have a tornado, and she says, "Oh, is that a tornado blowing the house away?"

MamaKB,
I've almost stepped on a liver.

Rachy,
How did that moth hold together for an hour? Was it some sort or mutant supermoth?

Mrs.,
Armadillos! EEEEEEEE! The HORROR!!!

Bec,
Well, I'd make a piece of fine jewelry and pin it to my Royal Crown of Hillmomba, IF YOU HADN'T STOLEN IT!!! Stop! THIEF! Where is my Royal Head-Thumpers Unit?

7:39 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

HBM-
No that was another of Lullah's friends. One night, 7 years ago, Lullah and Stephanie were sitting at our bar and Steph goes "Mrs. Kim, why are your french doors acting funny?"

Turns out a tornado had jumped my house and proceeded to land on the house next door.

12:21 AM  
Blogger Hillbilly Mom said...

You know what they say: Truth is funnier than Hillbilly Mom's comments!

11:22 AM  
Blogger Redneck Diva said...

We find the ass-end of baby rabbits lying around the yard all the time. And the ass-end of mice. I guess they eat the head first so it'll stop looking at them or something.

ew.

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home