Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Big Blogger 2 Mid Week Mini Meme #1

I guess someone is getting tired of my Mr. K cat-pranking tales.
Big Blogger has issued a Mid Week Challenge. Big Blogger is
tricky like that. Don't ever turn your back.

SCHOOLYARD MEME

Cast your mind back to the early days of your primary school
years,
and see how you go.

1. Name of your first teacher?
Mrs. Newcomer. I wanted to call her Mrs. Cucumber. Hey!
I liked pickles!

2. Name of best friend at school?
Alice Dickerson. Not to be confused with Janice Dickinson, the
self-proclaimed First Supermodel. My Alice was not a model.
Nor was she stark raving nuts. She was a mousy little thing, who
lived just outside of town. Her family had a pony, and rabbits.
I was a townie who lived in a trailer, so I was impressed.

3. Do you still know them now?
No. She moved away, as quietly as she lived. One day she was
there at my side, walking around the playground with her hand
out for some Fritos, and the next day she was gone.

4. Name of first person you had a crush on at school?
Jack Marler. He was blond and tall and funny. He is now the ER
Director at a local hospital. Shhh...don't tell my Hillbilly Husband.

5. Favorite lunch at school?
Chili with a ham salad sandwich. Actually, we got half a ham salad
and half a peanut butter, cut in a triangle, which was exotic to me,
because at home we halfed them. I always traded my peanut butter
one for a ham salad. Kids thought I was odd, but not as odd as
those who traded for spinach, and poured vinegar on it from the
little vinegar flask on each table.

6. Do you still eat it now?
Chili, yes, at school when they serve it. Ha ha! I still have school
lunch privileges! Ham salad...nawww. Nobody makes it like the
lunch lady.

7. First award you got at school?
Well...honor roll, if that's an award. And I was picked to get out
of 6th grade class for 30 minutes a day to go read stories to the
Kindergarten kids and serve them cookies. Huh! I thought it was
an honor. Now I know it was just a break for the Kindergarten
teacher.

8. Age you first mastered the "monkeybars"?
Still workin' on that one, Big Blogger. I sure did have monkey-
bar envy, too, for all those kids who could swing from end to end.

9. Favorite Canteen/Lunch Order treat?
Hmm...not sure where you're going with this one. I seem to be
lost in translation, but here goes. Across the street from school
was a little store. I think it was called Sug's Sugar Shack. Or
else that was my opinion of it. We could go there to buy lunch.
My favorite was a greasy, greasy hamburger that would make
a White Castle look like health food. It had this great jelly-like
paste of grease between the burger and the bun, from being
wrapped up in waxed paper while it was hot. Complementing
my main course was an 8 oz. bottle of Coke with a paper straw,
and for dessert, a Charms cherry sucker. You could win a free
Charms, you know, if it had that little paper strip on it when you
unwrapped it. Mmm...I'm getting hungry.

10. Favorite schoolyard game?
That would be tag, for an organized sport. I also enjoyed picking
up those little whirly maple-tree seeds and making helicopters by
throwing them into the air. I couldn't make a screeching whistle
with them, though. Only the cool monkeybar kids could do that.

There you go, Big Blogger. Next time you say jump, I will be
right here to ask "How high?"

6 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

This Is Big Bloger
Hillbilly Mom, you have immunity for this week. Well done.

6:42 PM  
Blogger elaine x said...

i don't know if i should feel badly or not ... the earliest memory of names, etc. was from the 3rd grade ... before then its just a flash of a coloring project or a school performance or something ... you have a great memory!
peace & harmony,
elaine
'freedom must be exercised to stay in shape!'

8:11 PM  
Blogger JustLinda said...

Tag? TAG?

What about kickball? Dodgeball? Four square? Hopscotch? Jumprope?

9:22 PM  
Blogger Hillbilly Mom said...

Big Blogger,
YEEEHAAAWWWW!

Biz,
I've always loved school, maybe that's why. AND my mom and my aunts were teachers. We're kind of school-centric around here.

Linda,
You obviously had a better educational experience. Kickball: the boys took the ball and wouldn't let us play. Dodgeball: that was for PE, and was called 'bombardment'. Four square: NEVER played it, though my son does now. Hopscotch: not a big deal in these parts, cause many of us didn't even have sidewalks at home. Jumprope: Sometimes. We always did they rhyme about '...how many kisses did it take?'

Man! I can't believe my recess was so NO-FRILL.

10:44 PM  
Blogger Redneck Diva said...

Did you see I now have immunity, too?

It kind of made me feel OH SO PRETTY.

(Drunken Spelling Challenge:
"yajhu" Must be Swedish for Yahoo.)

7:49 PM  
Blogger Hillbilly Mom said...

Diva,
Toot toot, yeahhhhh, beep, beep! What's that I hear? The sound of Diva tooting her own horn, methinks.

First I get immunity, then YOU want it, too. Now you are Single White Femaling my OH SO PRETTY looks. You must be stopped!

Silly Diva, that "yajhu" is not Swedish! Don't you know a hillbilly sneeze when you hear one? I am trying to infect you with the mumps to see if you REALLY have that immunity of which you speak.

10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home