Saturday, July 22, 2006

Fishing and a Movie

We are going fishing later. I even bought some more Canadian
nightcrawlers. Last time, we went to a lake in town, and I caught
the most fish. I think I caught 2. And 2 turtles. Tonight we are
going to a bigger lake. We'll see what develops. I've caught a
giant turtle there. HH went to take it off the hook, and it reared
its head and hissed and snapped at him. It was an ugly beast,
about as big as a large pizza pan. HH whacked it on the head with
a stick, and it spit out the hook and bait. Don't call the ASPCA!
That turtle crawled right back into the lake. He's probably twice
that size now. They are evil, those snapping turtles. I hope I don't
catch one tonight.

Yesterday, the boys and I went to see Monster House. It was
great. It was a little bit scary for young kids. My 8-year-old was
shaking in his seat during the basement scene. Still, it was good.
#1 son was in the doghouse because he made me buy the giant
combo of popcorn and soda. It's not the price. I know I have
to cash in some lottery tickets to afford a movie. But he wouldn't
listen. I know we get the medium combo. Medium popcorn and
two medium sodas. The giant things we ended up with only cost
$.23 more, but they were hard to carry and hold. It's free refills
anyway. We could have gotten the children's size, but the price
is still outrageous.

The people across the aisle from us really pissed me off. I know,
that's surprising, huh? They burped throughout the movie. Great
big echoing frat boy burps. They were a middle-aged woman and
what looked like her late-teen daughter. It was disgusting. My
#2 son said, "I think that one was a fart!" He said it kind of loud.
I didn't admonish him. They needed to hear it. It did nothing to
cut down on the amount of burps, though.

The other people pissing me off were the ones who leave during
the movie. I know, kids have to go to the bathroom, and get
refills on their snacks. But they don't have to fling the door open
so wide that it sticks, and then light floods into the theater when
it should be dark and cave-like. And they should know enough
to close the freakin' door when they come back. These were
the adults who went with the kids. But noooo! They didn't seem
to notice their theater-door faux pas. I had to make #2 get up
and close it three times.

I'm sure WE never piss anybody off. #2 likes to talk throughout
the movie. At one point, something almost happened, and I said
to him quietly, "So close." And the animated actor on screen
said, "So close." #2 announced, "You're psychic!" Yes, son.
Yes, I am. No need to announce it to the burpers and door-
flingers. He's the one who, in the middle of Madascar, when the
animals' HELP sign fell apart, shouted, "HELL! It says HELL!"
My mom laughed until she cried. I didn't take her with us to
Monster House.

#1 son didn't sit with us. He sat by himself. I guess he's growing
up. When we got home, there was a message from his girlfriend
on the phone. She was calling from a Super8 Motel. Hoochie!
No, really, she said her power was out, and the family was
staying at the motel. In the background, you could hear her
sister saying, "And I loooove you!" Kids. She hasn't been calling
as much this summer, but I guess she's in training for when school
starts again. 11. It's the new 20.

Nothing else new here. I must go prepare supper before we go
fishing. We are not having fish.

Keep voting for the Big Blogger 2 champion.
Please, for the love of Gummi Mary, vote!

5 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

Hi Hillbilly Mom,
So if you are not having fish, what is your preferred way to cook turtles?
HooRoo
Rebecca

3:49 AM  
Blogger Redneck Diva said...

I bought fish sticks last night at Wal*Mart, but that's as far as I go with our aquatic friends for dinner. I'm not a big seafood/fish fan, but the kids love 'em some fish sticks with ketchup. Bleh.

Abby has a boyfriend who hasn't called her once this summer. I figured we'd hear from him a time or two. But, like my mom said, "Uh, Kristin, they're only 9 and 10. Granted the boy is 5'2", but still he's only 10. His parents probably won't let him call." I kinda sometimes forget they're so little when they're both so dang tall!

2:06 PM  
Blogger Hillbilly Mom said...

Bec,
I've heard that turtles make a good soup. To add insult to injury, I would serve it in the cheeky reptile's own shell. That'll learn 'em. You don't chew on Hillbilly Mom's Canadian nightcrawler. And you don't piss off HM. Sing it with me...

Diva,
The kids would eat the worms if they were dipped in ketchup.

What's that boy's name? I am thinking "Chance", but if that's a cousin...well, I'm glad you heard it here first.

#1's girlfriend just invited him to Six Flags. He thinks he's going. They are going swimming, too. Wait until her parents see how he's grown up this summer. Methinks they will monitor their gal young 'un more closely. Not that they need to. He's not even going to tell her that he has a few armpit hairs. Though he DID flex his leg and say, "Look at that muscle!"

4:58 PM  
Blogger Redneck Diva said...

Oh yes, his name is *Chance* and when you say it out loud you have to flutter your eyelashes, blush and sigh afterwards. At least, that's how Abby says it.

Abby's wanting desperately to ask *Chance* to go with us to Silver Dollar City, but I'm not sure I'm ready for that just yet. Eek

7:18 PM  
Blogger Hillbilly Mom said...

Diva,
I used to teach a 9th grade boy named 'Chance' in Mountain Grove, MO. He was cute as a bug...shaggy blond hair. I lived at his grandma and grandpa's rental apt. on the grounds of their trailer park. Thank the Gummi Mary the tornadoes couldn't find me...and Chance didn't know what I was up to behind closed doors.

9:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home