Saturday, June 03, 2006

Cool Kids, Cold Pool














Today marked the grand opening of the Mansion Swimming Pool.
Air temp: 84 degrees. Water temp: 69 degrees. The boys tried
to pretend it wasn't cold. This was around 11:00 a.m. They could
have waited until the entire pool was in the sun around noon, but
#1 son and HH had free tickets to a Cardinals' game. In the new
stadium. The last time HH had free tickets, he contracted Type A
Influenza. Ahh..yes. I remember it like it was yesterday.















We have to watch the little shaver closely. The water comes up to
his chin, and he can get off balance and go under. He must be on
a floatie or wear a life jacket unless HH is in the pool with him.
He actually looks like the big guy in this photo, stretched out on
last year's floatie.















It's now 8:00 p.m. (not in the picture), and HH has gotten in the
pool with them for swim number two. They didn't last long, as it
is all in the shade now, and they were shivering. Good thing we
have the free hairwad hot tub right beside the pool. That's where
they are right now, and my house is blissfully quiet. It won't be
long until they drag their waterlogged selves in the house, though.

This pool kind of takes up the whole back yard. I suppose it's
less lawn for HH to mow. We don't really use the back yard for
anything. We grill on the back porch, and have a picnic table in
the side yard. Because the 5th-wheel camper is in the front yard.

Last night, HH and #1 found a copperhead lurking under the edge
of the free hairwad hot tub. HH killed it. He said it was about 18
inches long. I've heard they mate for life, and I'm waiting for the
other snake to drop. I don't know if that's true. I think Buddy is
the one who told us that, and he is not a reliable source of info.
HH has plans for a small deck, and I shudder to think of what
monstrosity he will design. He always asks for my input, then
does exactly as he pleases. At least I get to say "I told you so."

That's all the news from the Mansion. I must now go retrieve
the soakers from the free hairwad hot tub, before they have heat
stroke. They're a bit lacking in the common sense department.

11 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

Hi Hillbilly Mom,
I can see how close the pool is to the balcony you are on. So how many times have the boys tried jumping off that into the pool so far?
HooRoo
Rebecca

11:03 PM  
Blogger Chickadee said...

Guess the boyz couldn't wait for the water temp to get warmer huh? LOL. Ahh well...

Oh Nelly, tickets to a Cards Cubs game. I'll bet those tickets are paper gold!

We actually have Copperheads here in St. Louis too...in one of the Conservation Area parks...I'm not sure it's public knowledge. I have special priveleges to such information since I'm a volunteer. ;) I'm not sure I'm happy to have such access to that kind of information. I like snakes, but those poisonous ones make me nervous.

I saw a Timber Rattlesnake once, it was frickin' huge.

http://www.danno.org/blogs

11:18 PM  
Blogger Hillbilly Mom said...

Bec,
My boys are not adventurous, they are cautious. I have students who tell me they jump off their roofs into their pools.

Chick,
I found a bunch of Copperhead young 'uns on a walk at a state park a couple years ago. They were only about 6 inches long. I though they were worms, and leaned down to take a look. The freakin' little demons bit the sole of my shoe! I'm glad they weren't big enough to reach flesh.

We've had a giant black snake eating a nest of rabbits, but we just threw him down into the woods. By 'we', I mean HH and a sturdy stick. That snake was about 4 feet long. The rule around here is that you don't kill a black snake. They eat mice and rats. And baby rabbits.

1:24 AM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

I bet they could darn near sing quite a few of the Bee-Gee's Ballads after having been in the cold water for some time..or even taken off Mickey Mouses' voice :)
Nice pool HM...can we all come have a swim one day? My four sproutlings would love to come :)

5:13 AM  
Blogger jules said...

Be glad you're not where we are...water restrictions and SEVERE fines for things like filling a pool.

8:11 PM  
Blogger Hillbilly Mom said...

Cazzie,
Bring 'em and throw 'em in. They'll learn to swim...or they won't. The boys are Stayin' Alive, and they haven't had a Night Fever, so I guess the cold water didn't harm them.

Jules,
Great Googley Moogley! That's barbaric! Our well just keeps pumpin' out the H2O. No drought here. We're mushy and muddy from rain the last two days, too.

8:40 PM  
Blogger Stewed Hamm said...

I've come eye-to-eye with copperheads more times than I care to recall. If you think one under the free hairwad hot tub is bad, try one in there with you.

4:50 AM  
Blogger Redneck Diva said...

Ooh looks like fun!! Our 10x4 "Family Swim Center" could be a floaty in your pool!!

2:11 PM  
Blogger Hillbilly Mom said...

Hamminator,
I will leave the hot tub swimming to the cottonmouths and water moccasins. Pick your poison. I actually think they are the same snake using an alias.

Diva,
If we get enough floaties, we won't even have to touch the water.

5:16 PM  
Blogger Stewed Hamm said...

You're correct about the alias thing, it was part of a massive tax fraud scheme. Just another reason not to trust those frickin snakes, if you axk me.

1:54 AM  
Blogger Hillbilly Mom said...

Stew,
I KNEW IT! Those sneaky snakes have to be watched every minute. It seems like only decades ago that one of them pretended to be a stick so Charley Brown would pick it up.

9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home