Sunday, July 23, 2006

Fish: It's What's Not For Dinner

We could have had fish for supper. Yesterday's fishing trip was
bountiful for HH. #2 son caught 4 little fish. #1 caught 3 little fish.
I caught 1 little fish. HH caught 3 little fish AND a 6-pound blue
catfish. That thing was HUGE. It was as big as #1 son's thigh.
And even though he is only 11, he is the size of a 14-year-old.

HH put it on a stringer and tied it to the dock of the little pond.
We got ready to leave around 8:30. HH had plans to clean the
fish and cut it up and cook it on the grill. Then the plans changed
to let me cook it in the oven. Then I told him it would be 9:30
before we got home and he had the fish ready to cook. Who
wants to eat fish at 10:00 p.m.? Not me. This is the midwest,
baby! We eat supper at 5:00!

HH didn't want to wait until the next day to eat it. He was going
to stuff it in a cooler with some pond water to get it home. Then
he was just going to stuff it in a cooler. The next thing I knew,
he left it on the stringer and tossed it into the truck bed. I told
him no way was he going to drive it home like that. It would die.
HH said, "It's going to die anyway when I cut its head off and
gut it." Still, I didn't want him butchering a fish that died from
lack of oxygen.

HH got out the fish scale and weighed it. 6 pounds. He had
guessed 5 pounds. We didn't have the camera, because he
really wanted a picture of it. HH decided to throw it back in
the pond, to catch again another day.

See how lazy we are? Too lazy to fillet a fish and wrap it in foil
with some onions and potatoes and butter and sprinkle it with
some lemon pepper seasoning and pop it in the oven. That's
how lazy.

The little fish we caught were bluegill. HH used to make me
cook them, after we took the older boys fishing. They liked it.
The guys would be picking bones out of their mouths left and
right, because HH isn't a master fish filleter. Hmm...that "t" in
the word "filleter" is silent. Or else that could sound like kind of
a bad word, methinks. Don't ask. If you don't know it, you don't
need to know it. A middle school student explained it to the old
English teacher we had. She had a thirst for knowledge. She
yearned for it. See. Nobody could guess where that quote was
from the last time I asked. Now you're going to hear it all the
time, until somebody can guess. I even told you who said it
a while back. Y'all listen about as well as my young 'uns!

That is all I've got for now.
I'm going to get started on tomorrow's post.
Because the early bird catches the worm, and even though
I have a refrigerator full of Canadian nightcrawlers because
I forgot them when we went fishing, you can never have too
many worms.

5 Comments:

Blogger LanternLight said...

Congratulations OH SO PRETTY one...

;-)

10:57 PM  
Blogger Redneck Diva said...

Oh yes you CAN have too many worms! www.drnatura.com Click on the photo gallery.

2:09 PM  
Blogger Hillbilly Mom said...

Lantern,
Thanks. You're my first. Well, my first congratulator, that is.

Diva,
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

When will I stop doing what people tell me? That was just nasty. That ain't nothin' wormy. WTF have those people been eating, raw seaweed? And why would they take freakin' PICTURES of it? And why did I scroll down the page to look at more?

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Stephen King must have visited this site before he wrote 'Dreamcatchers' or whatever that nightmare of a book was.

4:50 PM  
Blogger Redneck Diva said...

RIFLMAO

My friend Shannon (http://bradys-mom.blogspot.com) is responsible for introducing me to good ol' Dr. Buttworm. *shudder*

I think $shitweasel is what the buttworms turn into if left to run amuck in your bowel. Stephen King is one twisted mofo.

7:12 PM  
Blogger Hillbilly Mom said...

Diva,
Careful, don't hurt yourself IN the floor.

And now you've passed Shannon's little favor to you on TO ME!

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home